Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Another day, another scary revelation

Well, yet again, we are facing another day of economic crisis and the fear of what looms ahead for all of us. The economic bailout failed to pass yesterday which in turn had a negative effect on the stock market sending the DOW plunging nearly 800 points in one day... Needless to say, yesterday was a horrible day for the American economy and the American people... It is becoming more and more apparent that things very well may get worse before it gets better. That we may actually be headed towards a recession (although I think in some ways we're already there) and/or that another depression is waiting in the wings to rear its ugly head... That is a scary thought...

For the better portion of the population we have no idea what it was like to live through an era like the Great Depression... Although, I'm sure that most of us can find a family member or friend of the family that remembers what it was like. I know for me the extent of what I know about it stems from my high school and college history classes as well as from reading Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath in high school... That for me is enough to be scared of what these possibilities could mean for us in today's society... I'm afraid as an individual, as a wife, but especially as a mother... I had hoped that my husband and I were bringing our daughter into a world that was better than what we've read and studied about in history books... But it seems that I was wrong. As with many things that have happened in history and the things that continue to happen it is almost as if history truly does repeat itself. You know, I always joke, a long with many of my friends that clothing trends and fads recycle themselves throughout the years... It seems that everything in life seems to do that... It is as if our economic system is recycling itself from the years of the Depression and playing itself out in modern times... Kind of a scary thought if you take the time to actually think about it...

I don't know... Maybe this is just me and my conspiracy theorist side coming out, but it is a scary thought nonetheless... My heart and prayers go out to everyone in the country who are struggling to make ends meet, who are losing their homes to foreclosure, their jobs to a wavering job market, and their investments to a system so broken I sometimes wonder how quickly it can be prepared... I truly hope that we can come together a country to try to figure out a way to fix this so that we can all live our lives in the best way possible...

No comments: